01 February 2012

Cashew Chicken


*2lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips or bites
*½ cup mushrooms, sliced
*½ cup sweet bell pepper, chopped
*1 cup chopped broccoli or green beans
*1 cup cashews
*¼ cup all-purpose flour
*1 tsp black pepper
*1 tsp sea salt
*1 Tbs extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
*¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
*2 Tbs rice vinegar
*1 Tbs ketchup
*1 Tbs brown sugar
*2 cloves of garlic, minced
*1 tsp ground ginger
*red pepper flakes to taste (I think I used about a teaspoon, but I will definitely use more next time!)

Combine flour, salt, & pepper in a baggie, add chicken, & shake to coat. Heat EVOO in a skillet, brown chicken (about 1-2 minutes on each side), & transfer to slow cooker. In same skillet, sauté mushrooms & peppers until softened, & add to slow cooker. Combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, ginger, & red pepper with a whisk, & pour over chicken. Cook on low 3-4 hours. During the last 30 minutes, add broccoli or green beans to slow cooker. Once it's done, stir in cashews, & serve over brown rice!

No comments: